Pages

June 30, 2013

DIY Vintage Trunk Coffee Table

Not everything I find is always free, or free to make however it sure was cheaper than buying it brand new....

I bought this trunk for $20 from kijiji and thought it would make a WICKED coffee table! 















So the journey begin to figure out how to make the best trunk coffee table. I searched the internet, and came up with the idea of using an old pallet as a coffee table base. I then took a look on the Ottawa Freecycle group on Facebook and found someone giving away free pallets. My awesome boyfriend went and picked it up.

Next up were the supplies. We picked up a can of black spray paint from Walmart for $6. We already had everything else needed at home. 

Then came the manly work. That's where having a boyfriend who's handy is insanely helpful. 

The first step was cutting the pallet down to fit the base, and then moving one of the pieces of wood to complete the outside structure...


















Next up, time to sand! 


















After sanding, comes the paint job! That's the part I love doing. I got smart after spraying my hand black, and threw on a glove haha.


















After letting the paint dry, we figured out how to secure it to the trunk.

We pre-drilled holes in the trunk (We measured to make sure everything was in place).


















Then we nailed down the base from inside the trunk......

Last but not least came polishing the metal hardware and rivets on the trunk. It made a huge difference! 

So-- Here's the final product after a full day of hard work was complete! 















Not too shabby eh?? I definitely LOVE the finished product, and can't wait to have it in my new apartment.

If you like it, leave me a comment :) I'd love to hear what you have to say. 

No comments:

Post a Comment